Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shopping

I tried to go shopping today, I hate shopping (gasp, I know) loathe it even. I walked in to the mall through the Nordstrom, don't think I've every been in one before (another gasp- see above about the loathe of shopping) and I'm pretty sure I'll never go back in one if I can help it.

I know that I do not possess anything resembling fashion sense, I frequently dress like a schlub-and I'm ok with it. I could easily be a candidate for 'what not to wear". I just have never seen the living breathing demon known as vanity this acutely before.

I know I probably sound a bit self-righteous, but that is not my intent at all, I was just so shocked to see women gathered around a display waiting to buy jeans for two hundred dollars- two hundred dollars people! Do you know what The Schroeder can do with $200?

What amazed me even more was that they all looked so perfect- like the stepford wives gone bad; huge rings, fake nails, perfect hair and lots of make-up in barely modest clothes. I see now why there exists the problem women have with self-esteem issues and comparing themselves with others.

I'm ashamed to admit that in the three minutes I was in that store I began to doubt my own self worth and counted myself as not as beautiful as they; how sad that some clothes in a store can cause such a reaction. Where did my values go for those few agonizing minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment