Monday, June 28, 2010

the trek:part 1

The good news is that trek was fantastic- I'd do it again in a heart beat.

The bad news is that we were on the smelly gold bus, more dignified than another colored smelly bus, but don't you think? The gold was what made it sort of endurable-ish. Oh but I 'm getting ahead of myself. I'll start at the beginning so you can fully appreciate the whole story of the smelly gold bus.

We were up at 4:45, in the am. We dressed in our darling pioneer clothes
and dutifully went to reenact the arduous trek of the hand cart pioneers. The shiny gold bus was ours to be endured, except we didn't know just how bad it would be when we commenced loading that bus.

And so it was 30 whole minutes into the trip that we first broke down on the side of the freeway. As we unloaded 2 of my girls made a sign, 'polygamists need help' it read. Clever girls, too bad it only collected honks and waves, but no real help for our leaky bus.

I have a simple math equation for you:
what do you get when you combine
1 smelly gold bus
plus
1 windy canyon road
plus
smarty pants
?

A recipe for near disaster is what.

It's a good thing Ma H was prepared with, and willing to share, prescription strength anti-nausea medications. I haven't been car sick in a long time, this bus was testing all of my strength I tell you, every last bit.

After 10 long, smelly, and slightly nauseated hours
, too many break downs on the side of the freeway, one potty stop- not at the back of the bus, we finally made it to Wyoming...

Part 2 tomorrow


5 comments:

  1. oh the rolling turd...i miss them all already! trek was good. really good.

    thank you for making it good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That doesn't sound fun at all. I can't wait for part two when the good stuff starts! Sorry you had such a long trek getting started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that bus ride sounds awful. I get car sick too...and having it smell as well would be even worse.

    smell as well?

    heehee

    Can't wait to hear the rest!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. It was good, huh? I love the tag--Happy Mormon. Why do we do these crazy things? Why?
    Can't wait to hear the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you just needed to sprinkle some magic fairy dust on it?

    Crystal light everywhere on the girls with polygamists signs.

    I drove my daughters 1812 Subaru today instead of my 2008 Tahoe and I'm absolutely exhausted. Does that count as a trek?

    ReplyDelete