Friday, July 30, 2010

Monkey girl

This is my child, whom I believe is part monkey. I know I should probably fear her climbing the 15 or 20 feet in the air. I should be worried that she'll fall and break her arm, but she's been at it for so long that the fear has sort of melted into more of a blase shrug. (I also can't make the ` thingy go over the e right- so you get the no` version)

I remember when I used to have that near crippling mom fear of her climbing things. I vividly remember when she was about 15 months old, climbing to the top of my Mom's piano, saying 'mama yook' and leaping off of the top. I can still feel the pull of my stomach- my eyes shooting open wide and my arms instinctively reaching out to catch her, even though I was 8 feet away. I also remember the look of triumph in her big brown eyes when she rolled and stood up, unscathed, and proud as can be.

She's gotten a little more daring with each new thing to climb, and my fear has been inversely proportional to her daring. I hope everything in her life goes this way- her taking a chance and me trusting a little more each time.

4 comments:

  1. YIKES!!! That would give me pause, too. She seems perfectly comfortable, though, doesn't she? I say, let her climb.
    PS - Yes, I would definitely let you know when we come to Utah. We are there every so often as our youngest lives in Provo. The last couple of times just my husband went - boy's weekend. But I'd like to come next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. She IS a little monkey, isn't she?

    I like your thoughts here. It's true, as moms, that we have to sort of let them climb...literally and figuratively...or we will stunt their growth.

    It's not easy, though. And not easy to know where to draw the line, either. I guess we just sort of feel and pray our way along.

    (Tell her I think she's cool!)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe she can get all the way up there! Oh to be young and agile like that again. I'll bet it's a fun slide down. Minus the burning hands part. ;)

    ReplyDelete